Just Detention International (JDI) is recruiting a Policy and Communications Officer to help develop JDI’s publications and shape our messaging, among other core tasks to advance our mission to end sexual abuse in all forms of detention. The Policy and Communications Officer will join JDI’s communications team and report to JDI’s Communications Director. The position is ideally based in our Los Angeles headquarters, but we will also accept candidates in Washington, D.C. Remote or hybrid work options are available for the right candidate.
Key Policy and Communications Officer Responsibilities:
• Work with JDI’s program and communications teams to write and edit publications about our work to ensure the safety and dignity of incarcerated people, including fact sheets, public educational materials, and materials for incarcerated survivors of sexual abuse. Write JDI press releases, research reports, Action Update newsletter articles, and other core communications materials.
• Interview survivors, JDI supporters, and key program partners, as needed, to develop JDI communications and program materials.
• Working with the Communications Director, help formulate JDI’s positions on critical issues and help develop communications strategies to advance JDI’s mission.
• Plan and develop content for JDI’s website, social media platforms, and emails to supporters.
• Draft op-eds, letters to the editor, and other statements for the media.
• Write and edit program reports for donors.
• Exceptional writing skills
• BA or equivalent relevant experience
• Minimum three years of relevant professional experience, preferably as a writer or editor at a nonprofit advocacy organization
• Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
• Outstanding MS Office computer skills and a sharp eye for design
• Basic knowledge of design tools (Photoshop, InDesign) and website content management systems are a plus, but not required
• Ability to produce high-quality work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
• Skilled at communicating complex topics in a simple, accessible format across a variety of platforms
• Passionate commitment to protecting the human rights of all people
• Comfort addressing sexual violence, ability to work sensitively with trauma survivors, and willingness to work inside detention facilities
• Ability to work effectively with people with diverse backgrounds and experiences
The salary range for this position is 55k – 65K annually, commensurate with experience. JDI offers generous benefits and paid vacation.
Please send a letter of interest and resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a 90-minute writing exercise; we will compensate candidates for their time. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. All applications will be kept confidential.
JDI is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity. Black, Indigenous, and people of color; LGBTQI+ candidates; people with disabilities; and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply.